Ubuntu 20.10 new features
Ubuntu 20.10 will be the second release of year 2020 of the popular Ubuntu distribution, this article will collect information regarding this new release.
Codename and version
Gorillas are ground-dwelling, predominantly herbivorous apes that inhabit the forest of central Sub-Saharan Africa. The genus Gorilla is divided into two species: the eastern gorillas and the western gorillas (both critically endangered), and either four or five subspecies. They are the largest living primates. The DNA of gorillas is highly similar to that of humans, from 95 to 99% depending on what is included, and they are the next closest living relatives to humans after the chimpanzees and bonobos.Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
Ubuntu 20.10 will be codenamed “Groovy Gorilla”.
For those unfamiliar with Ubuntu’s naming, every Ubuntu release uses two codes:
- Codename: both names start with a letter, the first name is usually an adjective and the second one is an animal. The letters are chosen in order, if a release starts with A the next release will use letter B.
- Version: the version is a combination of the year and the month of the release. E.g. Ubuntu 18.04 (2018 April, April = 04, hence 18.04). Ubuntu is usually released on April and October. The last two numbers usually being .04 and .10.
- LTS: once every two years a Long Term Support version is released. Normal releases are supported for 9 months, LTS releases are supported for 5 years. An LTS release is usually more stable and will receive enough security updates to be in production for several years.
How do I install Ubuntu 20.10?
You will find a step-by-step tutorial shortly after the release of Ubuntu 20.10
When will it be released?
Ubuntu 20.10 is currently scheduled to be released on the 22nd October 2020.
Here, you can find the current schedule:
- 27th August: Feature Freeze
- 1st October: Beta release
- 8th October: Final Freeze
- 15th October: Release Candidate, Kernel Freeze
- 22nd October: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release
This release focuses on security and stability, plus some user experience improvements. In this version some icons have been revamped, the fingerprint login feature has been enhanced and multiple enhancements to the maps and web apps have been implemented. A new welcome tour has also been designed.
Ubuntu 20.10 Groovy Gorilla new features
- Ubuntu 20.10 will be powered by Linux 5.8.
- The Ubiquity installer now supports Active Directory.
- Nftables should be used as IPtables backend.